Are you tired of dealing with the consequences of your disturbing life experiences? Do you think these experiences influence your present as well as your future well-being? We can help you process these experiences effectively using a technique called eye movement desensitization and reprocessing which is known as EMDR. This type of therapy is proven to be effective for treating disturbing memories and overcoming trauma.
Within our team we have therapists who are fluent in the following languages: English, French, Farsi/Persian and Papiamento.
This means that you can receive therapy in this language. Pay attention! Our registration procedure and the information we share with you about costs and fees is only available in Dutch. You must translate this yourself or have it translated. Did you know that Google Translate is a good translator nowadays!
We do not have interpreters available!
Splinter is a young company with a fantastic team. All the people that work at Splinter are experienced professionals who all recognise themselves in what Splinter represents. They want to provide the best care possible. The healthcare professionals are there for you and are committed to resolve your problems with you.
Our team consists of Clinical psychologists, (GZ) psychologists, psychotherapists and psychiatrists.
effective for me?
An unpleasant or disturbing experience can happen to anyone and it will usually not have a long-term effect on you, because you have learned to cope with this experience. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. Sometimes disturbing memories will recur more frequently and affect you in a negative way. Maybe you don’t sleep well anymore, you feel restless or maybe you experience flashbacks. We can help you effectively overcome these symptoms by working with your emotions in relation to these disturbing memories. This will help you to get your life back on track.
EMDR stands for ‘Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing’ which is a form of therapy that is scientifically proven to be effective and works well if you suffer from the effects of a shocking or traumatic experience. During an EMDR session we ask you to focus on this traumatic event. At the same time, we will distract you with a moving light or hand. This starts an association process with images, thoughts and feelings through which allows you to process information faster. The result is that the memory will be associated less with the negative emotions and the feelings towards the memory will become less intense. Therefore, the memory will become more vague and will feel less threatening to you. This allows you to move past the experience and make you feel more relaxed and give you emotional freedom.
Click here for more information about EMDR
Have you experienced something negative in the past, that has happened during your childhood or just recently, which still has a negative effect on your life now? Something that was so radical that you feel like you are stuck because this experience haunts you every day and night? This can be anything such as a bad accident, emotional- physical- or sexual abuse, bullying, a bad childbirth or experiences during a war. It may be possible that you have been traumatized.
The main symptoms of trauma are feelings of fear and reliving the bad experience repeatedly. It is also possible to experience the following symptoms:
Experiencing numbness or being passive
Experiencing problems with sleeping or having nightmares
Easily panicked or feeling paralyzed by fear
Negative emotions that prevail, such as mood swings, guilt, powerlessness, sadness or shame
Isolating yourself or avoiding thoughts, feelings, activities, people or places that remind you of the event
Supressing the memories of the experience or not remembering certain parts of the experience
Having a short temper and / or having anger attacks
Feeling irritated, tense and being highly alerted all the time
Negative thoughts about yourself, other people or the world
Problems with concentrating
If you have any or several of these complaints and they have persisted for over a month it might be that you have post-traumatic stress disorder, also known as PTSD.
roadmap from registration until rounding up
We understand that if you register with us you want to start as soon as possible. Before the start we want to make sure you are well informed, that is why you will find our intake-procedure down here together with the (potential) waiting lists.
- You can register yourself via the website and within two working days you will gain access to your personal environment ‘My Splinter’. In My Splinter you will find an additional intake form (in Dutch) as well as a questionnaire for you to complete.
- In the intake form you must give your approval for our treatment agreement and indicate that you are aware of the costs of our treatment.
- After you filled the intake form and completed the questionnaire you will get an invitation to schedule an intake with one of our psychologists. The intake consists of two consults. During the intake we will discuss whether we can offer you the help you need. Please note that there are costs associated with this call.
- Here you will find information about costs and contracts.
- If we can offer the help you need, we will put you on the waiting list.
- As soon as possible we will invite you to the diagnostic phase where you will file questionnaires, we will diagnose you and we will compile a treatment plan together with you.
- Your treatment will start.
- In the meantime, we regularly evaluate the treatment with you.
- The disturbing experience no longer influences you in a negative way, together with you we will complete your treatment.